BBC Children in Need
(Recruiting 2015 – 2018)
Funded by BBC Children in Need, The Reader pairs trained volunteers with Looked After Children between the ages of 5 and 15.
Over the three year project, trained Reader Leaders will read one-to-one with over 100 young people in foster and care homes across Merseyside.
- stimulate imagination and a love of reading for pleasure
- increase confidence
- encourage better well-being
We are recruiting volunteers who are able to read with a child for one hour a week, with an initial commitment of six months from the start of each placement. As a volunteer you will receive full training from The Reader and will commit to attending regular training meetings with other volunteers.
Alongside weekly visits, you will also spend time preparing appropriate materials for reading and discussion.
Benefits of this role include:
- Enabling children to benefit from literature
- Developing your skills in reading aloud
- Training and ongoing support for the role
- Working within a clear code of conduct for home visits
- Being part of a team and meeting new people
For this role, volunteers must be able to:
- Read aloud clearly in a one-to-one context (training will be given)
- Relate well to children
- Give and receive feedback
- Be sensitive to people’s emotional needs
- Work as part of a team of one-to-one readers
- Represent The Reader in a professional manner
- Work according to all volunteer policies and procedures
An enhanced DBS is required for this role.
Travel expenses will be provided as per The Reader’s volunteer expenses policy.
Get in touch and be part of the story…
For more information about this role, please contact Neil Mahoney: