We are looking for a volunteer group leader to set up and lead Shared Reading group in libraries to promote good mental health and well-being within the community.
This role will receive full training to become a Shared Reading practitioner. When training is completed, you will commit to holding a weekly Shared Reading group at the same time each week as well as receive ongoing support in ensuring that the group is well-attended.
- To act as Volunteer Reader Leader in a weekly Shared Reading group
- Recruiting members and signposting individuals to the group (support will be provided)
- Planning, preparing and reflecting upon your weekly group once you have been trained
- To liaise with staff at host organisations to help ensure sustainability
- Excellent literacy and comprehension, good at reading aloud or prepared to learn to improve (support will be given) – with a genuine interest in reading prose and poetry. It would be helpful to have some understanding of the ethos of Shared Reading or be open to learning more
- An ability to learn to facilitate conversation with people that is related to the text (this is different to ‘having’ a conversation)
- An ability to manage group dynamics with an openness to people and a desire to be with people in a human way, and putting the needs of the group and story ahead of their own interests
Commitment: 1.5 hours per week plus time spent choosing literature for the group
Length of Opportunity: We ask for a one year commitment but the opportunity is ongoing and can last for as long as you and your group want it to.
Training: This position benefits from a free place on The Reader’s Read to Lead training, a three-day programme which teach you the skills required to run your own Shared Reading group.
Get in touch and be part of the story…
For more information please contact Emma Crago:
email@example.com, 07970 247 410