Since April 2011, The Reader Organisation has been commissioned to provide a trained Project Worker to run a Get Into Reading group in a drug and alcohol recovery setting in Wirral. Until August 2012, this was hosted at Arch Aftercare; from August, the Get Into Reading group has made a very successful transition to its new host, Trust The Process. This move was enabled by the Wirral Drug and Alcohol Action Team re-commission, which included funding to train four Get Into Reading group members identified as having the potential to become Shared Reading Facilitators, and run their own groups. The group has new members almost every week, as well as a group of core members and is very popular, with high attendance figures.
The aims of the weekly Get Into Reading session at TTP include:
- increasing confidence and self esteem
- improving mental well being
- increasing motivation to access basic skills and/or other courses
- improving speaking, listening and social skills
- reducing social isolation
- removing barriers and negative associations around reading
The Reader magazine offers a mix of new poetry and fiction, classic and neglected works and interviews with leading literary figures.
If you have any suggestions on how we can enhance The Reader experience for you, please get in touch by filling out our quick form. Thank you.