The agreement (contract) between you and us
Once we're about to send out your order, we debit your payment card with the total cost of the items we're sending you.
You may cancel any order prior to dispatch of the products you have ordered. See your cancellation rights below.
Though we check our system frequently to try and avoid errors, things can occasionally go wrong with the ordering process. If we make a mistake we will do our best to put things right as quickly as we can, with as little inconvenience to you as possible. We do however reserve the right to cancel any order for any reason at any time prior to dispatch, for example (but not limited to) where there is an obvious material mistake in the price or product information.
All orders are made subject to these terms and conditions.
We aim to give you outstanding service. If you have any comments or complaints, contact us.
It is our job to make sure that www.thereader.org.uk is accessible and easy to navigate for all, including customers with disabilities
Your privacy when you shop online with us
We want you to be able to shop with confidence on our site, which is why we take the privacy of your personal information very seriously.
When you shop with us, you give us certain personal details, such as your name, email address and payment address. We hold such information securely during online transactions. This means your personal information cannot be read by anyone who should not see it.
We comply with all applicable data protection legislation, and we treat all your personal information as confidential. We are committed to protecting your privacy and developing technology that provides a safe online experience.
To process your order efficiently, reputable third-party banking and distribution institutions handle the credit and debit card transactions and order fulfilment. They receive the information needed to verify and authorise your payment card and to process your order. These organisations are under strict legal and contractual obligations to keep your personal information private.
We do our best to deliver your products within the delivery time shown on the product page when you order. If this is not possible, your order will be sent out as soon as the goods become available. If we can't supply your order within 60 days, we will cancel the order - except for products that have not been published or released yet.
The dispatch and delivery times shown are approximate and delays can sometimes occur. Delivery times are based on Working days (Monday-Friday, excluding Public Holidays).
We will email you as soon as your order is ready to be dispatched.
Certain products are subject to delivery restrictions. You will find details of any delivery restriction displayed on the product page.
UK consumers and consumers from the rest of the European Union have the right to cancel contracts for the purchase of items within seven (7) working days of the day after receipt of the ordered goods in some circumstances, including where they enter the contract online.
These are the conditions for returning products:
You must return the item as soon as you reasonably are able to following receipt.
Return items in a reasonable state, preferably with the original packaging and accessories.
Refunds will be credited to your payment card - not paid in cash.
Products can only be returned in their original condition.
If either of us fails to comply with these Terms, neither of us shall be responsible for any losses that the other suffers as a result, except for those losses which are a foreseeable consequence of the failure to comply with these Terms.
Nothing in these Terms shall exclude or limit our liability for:
1) death or personal injury resulting from our negligence;
2) death, personal injury or damage to property caused by a defective Product;
3) fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
4) breach of the term implied by section 12, 13 and 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979;
5) breach of contract common law;
6) breach of the terms implied by section 2 of the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982 (that you will have quiet possession of Products you purchase and that Products you purchase will be free from encumbrances).
Subject to the above, our total liability to you for all and any damages, losses, and causes of action shall not exceed the amount paid by you, if any, for accessing the Website, purchasing the Products and/or using the Services provided via the Website.
If you need more information about what the laws referred to say, please contact us. Depending on your question we may suggest that you obtain free legal advice from Trading Standards or the Citizens Advice Bureau (Citizens Advice Consumer Service).
If any part of these terms and conditions is found to be unenforceable as a matter of law, the enforceability of any other part of these terms and conditions will not be affected.
If any invalid, unenforceable or illegal provision of these terms would be valid, enforceable and legal if some part of it were deleted, the provision shall apply with the minimum modification necessary to make it legal, valid and enforceable.
1. To the fullest extent permissible in law, we shall be entitled to assign all and any of our rights and obligations under these Terms and Conditions, provided that your rights are not adversely affected.
2. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court, the invalid or unenforceable provision shall be severed or amended in such a manner as to render the rest of the provision(s) and remainder of these Terms and Conditions valid or enforceable.
3. If we delay or fail to enforce any of these Terms and Conditions it shall not mean that we have waived our right to do so.
4. These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between the parties in connection to the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions and supersede any previous terms and conditions, agreement or arrangement between you and us relating to the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions. However, nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall purport to exclude liability for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
These terms and conditions and any contract between us are governed by English Law and we both agree to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Happy Birthday William Faulkner, born in Mississippi on this day 1897. https://t.co/Ue6mZ4gdJ2 - 8h ago
Happy Birthday F Scott Fitzgerald, born on this day 1896. So many favourites to choose from! What's yours? https://t.co/KImpKJ74GT - 24 Sep ago
Happy Birthday Eavan Boland, born on this day 1944. Do you have a favourite Boland poem? Any recommendations? https://t.co/wx0cI7knTY - 24 Sep ago
If you have any suggestions on how we can enhance The Reader experience for you, please get in touch by filling out our quick form. Thank you.