Introduction to Chinese Painting
This Chinese brush painting session is a mixed ability class, suitable for experienced artists looking to experiment with a different technique, or beginners looking to create graceful and simple paintings.
*To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660
Sunday 28th November, 11am - 5pm (£50 for 1 day workshop)
- This session will begin with a brief history of Chinese art looking at the main ways it differs from Western painting styles
- This will be followed by a demonstration of brush technique, correct handling and posture, leading to the first exercise which will finish in you painting a long flowing orchid stem, adding simple orchid flowers
- The second exercise teaches more techniques focusing on ink and dilution, adding watercolour
- You will then paint the “Four Gentlemen” – four plants used to teach the fundamental elements of Chinese brush painting: the plum blossom (梅), the bamboo (竹), and the chrysanthemum (菊) (the other plant is the orchid (蘭) previously used in exercise 1)
- We will look at what different trees and flowers represent in Chinese culture: e.g. strength, peace, purity etc
- We will also look at Chinese calligraphy and have a go at writing in Chinese using our paintbrushes
- From a number of different visual stimuli, we will choose our own subject matter to create a more detailed painting using the techniques we have learned, with a demonstration from the artist, feedback and group critiques
Tutor: Madeleine Pires
Sunday 28 November, 11am - 5pm (£50 for 1 day workshop)
£50 for 1 day workshop
You will need to bring some of your own materials for the duration of the course. Materials lists will be provided 2-3 weeks before the course begins. If you require this list earlier, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note this group is currently paused, due to the coronavirus pandemic. A new arts and wellbeing group for parent...
Please note this group is currently paused, due to the coronavirus pandemic. Fancy learning a new skill and meeting new...
Please note this group is currently paused, due to the coronavirus pandemic. Art for All is a relaxed group which...
Contact usGet in touch and be part of the story
You can also speak to us on: 0151 729 2200