Suitable for complete beginners who are new to oil painting as well as those with more experience looking to develop their skills.
The course will cover a range of things including gathering your own reference material, testing out ideas and ultimately walking away at the end of the 3 weeks with a painting you would be happy to hang on your wall. Although centred around oil painting, the course will involve a variety of media, including charcoal and acrylic paint.
The classes will include a combination of presentations to the group, demonstrations and individual tuition. Suitable for beginners and more experienced artists who wish to develop their skills.
- How to create a strong and balanced composition – learning the importance of tonal arrangement in creating a balanced composition
- Linear perspective, eye lines i.e how the eye travels across the piece
- Tri-tone charcoal drawings and black and white acrylic painting
- Japanese inspired Notan drawings (black &white)
- Using acrylic paint, simplifying a landscape into masses of colour – no detail
*Important to bring a collection of printed out reference photos, some colour & some monochromatic.
- Colour wheel – science of colour and the interaction of colour – Josef Albers
- Colour mixing – how to create or match any colour
- Creating colour swatches/samples
- Sketching in the landscape
- Premixing colours – arranging your palette
- Begin a landscape painting from photo references and sketches in the landscape – focusing on basic shapes and colours, no detail
- Wet on wet techniques
Painting a landscape from start to finish in studio, using samples and references acquired previously over the course.
This course introduces participants to the use of a traditional Victorian photographic technique as a way of creating unique images....
Explore the history of Chinese Painting techniques with artist Madeleine Pires. This Chinese brush painting session is a mixed ability...
Develop observational and expressive drawing techniques and skills, using nature and organic patterns as inspiration. This course will enable you...
Contact usGet in touch and be part of the story
You can also speak to us on: 0151 729 2200