Could you read with a looked-after child?
"Reading for pleasure is the single most important thing that will make a child successful in life."
Could you bring the joy of reading for pleasure to children aged 5-15? We're looking for a new cohort of Reading Heroes to read with a looked-after child, on a face-to-face basis on Zoom.
The Reading Heroes project enables children to discover Shared Reading in weekly sessions, over a minimum period of six months. By volunteering, you'll be instilling a love for books and reading that will last a lifetime.
"There are so many great things about Sarah and Reading Heroes I don't think I could write it all down!" Amy, age 11.
Thanks to our amazing volunteers, the Reading Heroes project has been making a difference to children's lives for more than ten years:
- 100% of participants reported an increased sense of wellbeing
- 92% said their confidence in literacy increased
Want to be part of the story?
- Start your Reading Hero journey by completing our 'Become a Volunteer' form, please make sure to put 'Reading Hero' at the top of your response to the final question on the form
- The Reading Heroes training day will take place on Friday 9th December from 10am-4pm, online over Zoom
- There will also be a series of safeguarding requirements: application form, reference, completion of child safeguarding training online and enhanced DBS check
Submit your expression of interest form to us by Wednesday 30 November at the latest.
This Christmas, we're calling for donations to help us reach a £10,000 festive fundraising target. Funds raised will support the…
“Thank you for helping me read better and for making reading fun and not stupid boring.” Reading Hero, aged 6.…
Children in kinship care - those living in the care of a relative or close family friend – will receive…
Contact usGet in touch and be part of the story
You can also speak to us on: 0151 729 2200