Hope Readers: Reader Volunteers Needed
The Reader Organisation is looking for a team of committed, enthusiastic and friendly volunteers to become reading group facilitators with Education students at Liverpool Hope University, as part of our Hope Readers project.
The students attending our reading groups are in their first year of training to become primary school teachers and our aim is to ensure that a new generation of primary school teachers are ‘Readers’ before they become ‘Teachers’. We need your help at Hope!
As a volunteer you will:
- Help to create a culture of shared reading within a higher education institution
- Be part of a team: meeting new people, developing your confidence and interpersonal skills as well as your perspectives
- Gain experience working in a higher education environment and with academic staff
- Develop your reading aloud expertise
- Receive bespoke training and on-going support for the role
- Be part of a wider movement to help develop skills and attitudes in those who will go-on to teach and inspire children
Essential qualities for volunteers are:
- An ability to commit to running or attending a one-hour-long shared reading group at Liverpool Hope on a Thursday, 5-6pm, for all term-time dates.
- Deep love of reading
- Good at reading aloud
- An open mind, ability to listen to others and respond to a variety of different needs from members in a group
Desirable qualities in volunteers are:
- Previous attendance to Read to Lead or one of The Reader Organisation’s other Literary Learning courses
- Previous experience of delivering Get Into Reading
All Hope Readers volunteering enquiries should be sent to Charlotte Weber, Reader-in-Residence at Hope University by 5pm on Friday 14th December
Direct Line: 0151 291 3213
Mobile: 07807 106983
Please note that prospective volunteers will be asked to attend a short interview before commencing their involvement with the project, and may be asked to provide references.
Read more about our the project on our Hope Readers blog .
This Christmas, we're calling for donations to help us reach a £10,000 festive fundraising target. Funds raised will support the…
For November's Featured Poem, Julie is reading 'To Autumn' by John Clare To Autumn by John Clare Come, pensive…
“Thank you for helping me read better and for making reading fun and not stupid boring.” Reading Hero, aged 6.…
Contact usGet in touch and be part of the story
You can also speak to us on: 0151 729 2200